WIND TURBINE TECHNICIAN
This workstation introduces students to the principles of the power generating
wind turbine. It leads them through a series of hands-on activities to assemble a
wind turbine power generator, connect it to a power inverter and wire the inverter to
an electrical service panel.
Curriculum manual is provided in a threering binder, with pages contained in page protectors. Easy to follow step by step activities are highlighted using full color
photographs. Once introduced to career related information ( job description, education and training requirements, job prospects, and income ranges) the student begins a hands-on work experience, using professional tools of the trade to complete projects or tasks.
Pre- and post-tests, worksheets, answer sheets, and instructor's guide.
- Design a wind power generation system that is stand alone
- Design a wind power generation system that is tied to the grid
- Compare the cost of a wind power system to the costs your family spends on utilities
- Install a windmill power turbine
- Assemble a windmill power generator
- Mount and raise the power generator to a pole
- To demonstrate the concept of a gin pole for raising a windmill tower
- Connect the storage batteries in a series circuit
- Connect the storage batteries to a power inverter
- Wire the inverter to an electrical service panel
- Test the circuits for voltage
- Disassemble the workstation for the next group
Equipment and Tools
Sine wave inverter; wind generator; solar charge controller; batteries; cables; level; wire stripper; wire cutter; #2 Phillips screwdriver;bladed screwdriver; digital multimeter; voltage detector; ratchet; sockets; deep well sockets; tape measure; tool belt
Wind Energy Workstation
Stand-up workstation with see-through locking tool cabinet.
Hands On Activities
• 20 Hour Curriculum Package
• STEM Based
• Professional Tools of the Trade
• Completely Equipped for 3 Class Periods